Since our founding in 1825, B’nai Jeshurun (BJ) has been at the forefront of the American Jewish experience. As we approach our third century, our vision is focused on the spiritual work of transformation and on the creation of a Jewish path that is authentic, profound, and helps all members of our community seek and live their purpose to the fullest.
Our community is led by Rabbi Rolando Matalon, together with a senior leadership team that comprises Rabbi Felicia Sol, who oversees all programs, and Executive Director/COO Colin Weil, who oversees advancement, communications, finance and administration, and operations. BJ has a staff of approximately 40 full-time and ten part-time employees.
Our spiritual leaders and our nearly 1,800 member families share a vision of a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive community that offers many paths to Jewish religious life, while supporting one another in their spiritual quests. We are committed to honoring tradition while re-imagining and innovating our practices and programs to create a vibrant, contemporary, and relevant Jewish life for all who are seeking it.
Our pivot to all-virtual programming during the COVID-19 pandemic expanded our reach substantially to thousands of additional individuals and families from around the country and beyond, who now regularly join us for prayer and learning. Our post-pandemic vision includes a dynamic hybrid operation where most of our offerings are available in-person in our historic Upper West Side campus, as well as through various online platforms. Additionally, we are building a robust library of on-demand content for our community.
The Development Associate role requires an organized, detail-oriented, and discreet professional who will report to the Senior Development Manager and provide overall support to the Advancement operation team (development and membership). This is a fast-paced, yet rewarding, position in a dynamic work environment using a continuously-evolving Salesforce platform. A large percentage of our contributed income comes from individuals in the form of membership dues, gifts made in honor/in memory of others, and general contributions to the Annual Fund. Entering data, preparing and updating information, and communicating with constituents in an accurate and timely manner are core competencies of the position. This position will also provide administrative support to the Advancement team as needed. This is a rewarding opportunity for a candidate with the ability to communicate clearly, interface with constituents, and execute responsibilities quickly and accurately.
Key Responsibilities include but not limited to
Provide data-entry and administrative support to the Senior Development Manager and the Advancement team including:
- Prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Maintain Salesforce donor management database entries and dashboards (routinely update and correct database records as needed).
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective foundations and individual donors.
- Maintain guest lists, and other duties as assigned for fundraising events; assemble materials for events and meetings as needed.
- Handle administrative details associated with development-related lay leadership committees (i.e. prepare and distribute notices, agendas, minutes, etc.).
- Assist in maintenance of the Director's calendar; organize and schedule appointments.
- Process expenses/invoices.
- Maintain records and update database based on the director’s interactions with community members (Salesforce).
- Strong customer service/support orientation and ability to connect with donors over the phone.
- Ability to utilize Salesforce to collect, analyze, and research quantitative data about a member household and other donors.
- Maintain a database of donor briefs, development work plans, and templates.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelors Degree or related work experience.
- 1- 3 years of experience in an administrative position, preferably in a not-for-profit development office.
- Must have a strong demonstrated proficiency with programs within MS Office and/or GSuite.
- Excellent communication skills and judgment with the ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality.
- Strong familiarity with data-entry and database management, Salesforce preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Strong professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional demeanor and superb attention to detail.
- Ability to manage up as needed.
- Discretion is a must.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt position, with a salary range of $40,000 to $50,0000. Salary will be based on experience level. BJ offers medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, sick, and holiday policies, 403b retirement plan.
To Apply, Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Development Associate in the subject.
Equal Opportunity Employment
B’nai Jeshurun is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in recognition of our values, commitment to social justice, and responsibility to our spiritual leaders and staff, congregants, and the communities within which we live and work. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, veterans, immigrants, and LGBTQIA+ applicants.