Counselor, Adult Literacy Department
Marks JCH of Bensonhurst
Job Summary: The counselor will be responsible for supporting adult learners’ ability to identify and overcome barriers that prevent them from attending class regularly and cause them to drop out prematurely as well as for helping them navigate, engage and access resources and services they need in order to achieve their academic, career, personal and social goals.
- Provide counselling sessions to adult literacy students, addressing participants’ needs, documenting each interaction with a participant in a Participant Tracking System and completing case notes. Follow up by interactions with students on a daily basis.
- Work with students to develop an individual education plan that clearly lists the long- term and short- term educational goals with specific action steps required to meet each goal.
- Be able to demonstrate positive impacts of counselling on attendance, retention, academic achievement, and emotional and personal development.
- Help participants to develop skills to improve study habits, social skills and time management
- Develop referral network and make appropriate referrals within the Marks JCH and our partner agencies in order to address their challenges and achieve their academic, career, personal and social goals.
- Be available to work morning and evening hours.
- Attend Professional Development trainings.
- Meet with Program Director regularly to review participant progress, exchange information and share strategies.
- Minimum Associate’s Degree in a Human Services field (or currently enrolled in college) plus 2 years of relevant experience or 3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with counselling principles, techniques, and practices applied to students’ problems and developmental needs
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, communication and time management skills.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new software applications. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Google Docs.
- Knowledge of programs and services offered within the Marks JCH and community resources.
- Bi-lingual English-Russian preferred.
This position is open for part-time to full-time availability. Salary commensurate with degree and experience.
Please submit your resume to the Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org