ABOUT THE INITIATIVE
The Jews of Color Initiative is a U.S.-based, and centered effort focused on building and advancing the professional, organizational, and communal field for Jews of Color.
The Initiative focuses on grantmaking, research, and community education. It hosts the nation’s first-ever philanthropic and capacity building fund expressly dedicated to responding to racial injustice through helping further establish, fortify and building-out the field of support for Jews of Color.
The Jews of Color Initiative (JoCI) formally launched in 2018, is doing groundbreaking work at the intersection of Jews of Color and Jewish Community. As JoCI grows in terms of size, scale, reach, and budget, the Initiative is seeking a skilled Communications Associate excited about supporting the organization in its next stage of impact and excellence.
The Jews of Color Initiative is a fiscally sponsored project of the Tides Center, a public charity located in San Francisco, CA. The Center offers unique opportunities for emerging and existing charitable activities, by providing a solid infrastructure for groups working to promote progressive social change on a local, national, and international level.
ABOUT THE POSITION To help support our work and mission, the Jews of Color Initiative (JoCI) is seeking a strategic, energetic, and experienced full-time Communications Associate with outstanding writing and editing skills. The Communications Associate works with the Director of Communications to create and implement communication strategies that effectively promote the mission, strategic objectives, and programs of the JoCI. The position is an exempt, full-time, 40 hours per week and reports to the Director of Communications.
We need a Communications Associate with a positive, get-things-done attitude, dedication to the work that facilitates success, and an authentic passion for the Initiative’s work and mission. The right fit is bursting with excitement about this opportunity to be part of the team building the field for Jews of Color.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
JoCI Communications Support
- Social media management Ownership of JoCI’s social media presenceDraft social media posts, and independently develop the social media calendar (schedule of daily posts across multiple social media platforms). Schedule and post content and independently follow up on performance of posts “Like” and reply to comments as appropriate Reply to direct messages using independently Review social media analytics (Facebook Insights, Hootsuite, etc.) Update Linktree to reflect most recent Instagram posts Source content to find quotes, statistics, facts, etc. that can be repurposed on social In partnership with the Director of Communications conceptualize social media content/campaigns
- Website maintenance Conduct regular updates to JoCI’s website (WordPress)Set-up and enter content for newsletter articles and resources Make changes and additions to website, such as creating a new page with relevant content blocks for a new program, updating article categories/tags, updating resource/newsletter “related articles” as new materials are produced Maintain Events calendar in communication with Senior Director of Programs Monitor Resource Library community boards frequently to ensure a safe virtual environment for discussion boards SEO (add meta-descriptions, post titles, social media settings, upload custom images, etc.) for newsletter articles
Email campaignsDesign and launch email campaigns Draft email campaign language Input email campaign content into MailChimp Ownership over maintaining email subscriber lists (create different audiences among subscriber lists for targeted email campaigns, remove inactive email accounts as needed or requested)
General communicationsDraft written materials (email campaigns, newsletter articles, original resources) Perform first round copy editing on all internal and external communications in support of all staff Edit and format (style, font, images, etc.) PowerPoint slide decks Create and input content into Microsoft Forms (or similar software) and review collected responses, taking ownership of form operations, submissions, and review. Ownership over gathering and sourcing materials from grantees, newsletter features, organizational partners, and staff Working with the Director of Communications, serve as team’s main copy editor, reviewing and correcting written materials to improve impact, accuracy, readability, and consistency Ownership of building measurement and analytics into regular reporting of deliverables’ effectiveness against JoCI goal of building influence and impact Other duties as assigned
JoCI Organizational Support
- Producing and distributing correspondence memos, letters, forms, and reports
- Maintaining confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Replying to email, social media message, and telephone inquiries
- Working with the Director of Communications and all staff to develop and update administrative systems for greatest efficiency
- Advancing the profile and reputation of the Initiative through positive, productive, and efficient engagement with all stakeholders
- Successfully prioritizing and addressing conflicting needs
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree or significant demonstratable training in a specific content area with deployable conceptual training and framing skills
- 2 – 4 years of professional experience, including experience with launching and/or managing communications projects. Demonstrated dedication to JoCI’s mission and values
- Verifiable track record of achieving successful outcomes within complex environments
- Exceptional written, editing, and text-based skills. Superior attention to detail. Experience writing for publication for a public audience a plus!
- Organized and self-directed. Ability to set priorities, work independently, multi-task with regular interruptions, problem-solve, and coordinate projects successfully
- Fluency-level skills and adaptive approach to technology, including Outlook, Google Drive, Microsoft Office Suite, and Salesforce. WordPress knowledge a plus!
- Positive past experiences that demonstrate the ability to thrive and navigate complex, multiracial environments
- Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with all members of the Jews of Color Initiative community and network, including community leaders, clergy, funders, organizational leaders, and colleagues
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the confident ability to:
- Hold and treat the Initiative’s work with intentionality, care, and absolute discretion
- Support all aspects of planning and implementing a fast-paced and growing national Initiative, as needed
- Work well in a fast-paced, relationship-driven culture that values creativity and iteration, and is comfortable with changing course and re-prioritizing as necessary
- Thrive in a collaborative team environment and maintain a collegial spirit when sharing ideas and receiving constructive feedback
- Thoughtfully collaborate with other staff when appropriate
- Set priorities, work independently, multi-task with regular interruptions, problem solve, and coordinate projects successfully
- Work effectively and diplomatically with all members of the Jews of Color Initiative community and network including community leaders, clergy, funders, organizational leaders, and colleagues
- Hold diverse/complex/sometimes conflicting views about Jewish communal pain-points is essential (ex. Israel and Palestine, is anti-Zionism anti-Semitism? The Women’s March)
- Work in both in-person and virtual environments
- Work efficiently across time zones. This position will regularly interface with colleagues across the U.S., and on occasion outside of the US as well
- Work during infrequent evening/weekend hours as needed
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The compensation for the Communications Associate role ranges from $55,000 – $65,000 commensurate with experience and comes with benefits.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The Communications Associate will work inside an office environment, as well as indoor and outdoor venues on occasion.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL TASKS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regular sitting, standing, typing, and repetitive computer use. Occasional walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, pushing, pulling, lifting, kneeling, and twisting. Frequently communicates with others and must be able to exchange accurate information.
We know that you may not have every skill listed above and encourage you to apply if: you meet the large majority of required qualifications, are hard-working and self-starting, are ready to be on a fast-paced, agile, and quickly growing team, and think you would be a fit for this role with JoCI!
- This application requires a resume with references and a brief video
- Your resume should be no longer than 2 pages and should include at least 2 references
- Videos should be no longer than 2 minutes and answer these questions:What about this opportunity most interests you? What qualifications do you hold that make you and this role are a great fit? What relevant experience(s) do you have that ensure(s) you’ll be successful as the Communications Associate?
- Videos can be sent as an MP4, MOV, or WMV file.
- The application deadline is 5pm PT on Monday March 25, 2022.
- Please email your submissions to email@example.com
Applicants with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Equal Employment Opportunity The Jews of Color Initiative is fiscally sponsored by Tides Center, an equal opportunity employer. The Jews of Color Initiative provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.