Congregation Rodeph Sholom (CRS) is a large dynamic Reform synagogue at the heart of Manhattan’s Upper West Side and has a strong 180-year history. We are a community for all who enter our doors and our members represent the vibrant diversity of New York’s Jewish landscape. Multi-generational families, millennials, interfaith families, lifelong New Yorkers, those new to the city, folks pursuing conversion and those exploring Judaism for the first time have all found a home at CRS.
CRS is looking for a creative and collaborative designer who will see projects through from concept to launch. You will be hands-on creating key design work both independently and in collaboration with the Marketing & Communications team. Your responsibilities will include determining creative requirements, extending design concepts to digital, presenting design deliverables and iterating to perfection. Before a project launches you will also ensure that everything is pixel perfect.
The successful candidate will be experienced in digital design including website and video production. We are seeking a highly motivated, self-starter with a keen eye for detail. The ability to problem-solve and troubleshoot is a must, and you will be comfortable prioritizing and managing multiple projects at the same time while working independently and in a team setting. You turn out exceptional work in days, not weeks, and are able to jump in on a project at any point in its life cycle.
Our team works on a hybrid schedule. All our team members must be flexible and able to adapt to short- and long-term shifts in their job duties. Working hours are generally 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (4:00 PM on Fridays); additional hours may be required evenings and weekends.
- WEBSITE DESIGN & MANAGEMENT (50%)
- Responsible for the creative look & feel of all websites and digital initiatives
- Provides ongoing maintenance and updates of existing website content; updates the online video library with new content
- Creates new website designs
- Works with external developers to ensure aesthetics also are aligned with usability, accessibility, and web standards; works with developers to ensure proper implementation within a web environment and ensure consistency and integrity of the creative vision
- Manages relationship with vendors who are responsible for hosting and technical support
- Performs digital retouching and image editing as needed
- VIDEO PRODUCTION (30%)
- Responsible for video creation including content generation, creative direction, editing and distribution
- Ensures quality and consistency in branding, creating promotional and story-telling digital media content
- Oversees the maintenance and organization of video production equipment and post-production equipment and software
- Manages digital asset storage for all photo, video, and graphic deliverables, including storage, editing, meta tagging, access, and file optimization
- GRAPHIC DESIGN (20%)
- Creates graphics for emails and social media channels including Facebook & Instagram; PowerPoint; digital fact sheets and other formatted document
- Bachelor’s degree in Digital Design, Graphic Design, Animation, or similar
- At least one to two years’ experience in a digital design role
- Experience in web design with a working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and FTP
- Must be very well versed on Macintosh platform (OSX) and industry standard applications: InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere and Photoshop; with a working knowledge of Office applications: Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Systems experience with website WordPress (or other CMS); Constant Contact (or other email marketing platform); Zoom (or similar video conferencing software); Monday.com (or other project management software); Vimeo Enterprise & Facebook Live (or other streaming platform); YouTube/TikTok/Facebook (and other social media platforms)
- Strong competency with a photo and video camera, lighting, audio, and storyboarding
- Strong communications, interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills
- Capacity to juggle multiple projects, and work both independently and collaboratively
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments and tight deadlines, and achieving results
- Solutions-oriented and action-oriented (i.e., takes on new opportunities and difficult challenges with energy and enthusiasm)
- Proven ability to thrive in a dynamic, high-energy environment
- Proven creative skills
- Solid understanding of the marketing environment
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary range: $50,000 - $54,000; commensurate with experience
- Generous paid time off (e.g., vacation, holidays, sick and personal days and parental leave
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with up to a 7% matching contribution
- Flexible Spending Accounts for commuter, dependent care, and medical expenses
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage, and life insurance
- AFLAC plans
- Gym membership subsidy
- Professional development
- All staff must be full vaccinated, including booster shot. Proof of vaccination required at start of employment.
- Cover Letter: Please include a cover letter with your resume that demonstrates your relevant skills and experience, plus interest in this position
- Design Portfolio/Reel: A minimum of 3-5 examples of work including one video and one website required for consideration
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Congregation Rodeph Sholom does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of one’s actual or perceived race; color; religion; sex/gender (including gender identity); creed; sexual orientation; marital status; pregnancy; ethnicity; national origin; ancestry; age; disability; alienage/citizenship status; arrest or conviction record (consistent with the provisions of New York State’s Corrections Law); partnership status; familial status; military service; status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offenses; veteran status; genetic pre-disposition or carrier status; or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at CRS are made in a non-discriminatory manner and are based on qualifications, abilities, and merit. As may be permitted by law, certain Rodeph Sholom positions will be filled by persons of the Jewish faith as a bona fide occupational qualification. CRS also prohibits, and will not tolerate, any form of retaliation or reprisal against any employee who reasonably and in good faith complains of discrimination or harassment or provides information in connection with any such complaint.