Administrative and Program Associate
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York
Job Title: Administrative and Program Associate
Status: Salary Non-Exempt
Reports To: Clergy
Congregation Emanu-El offers a warm and majestic environment to congregants while also acting as a bold leader in the greater New York Jewish community. Founded in 1845 by German Jews who invited "all who come in peace" to partake, Emanu-El is the largest Jewish prayer space in the world with one of the most remarkable memberships in the country. Led by Rabbi Joshua M. Davidson, it provides spiritual, religious, educational, and cultural programming to community members of all ages. The synagogue features a top-rated nursery school, an award-winning religious school, the Stettenheim Library, the Herbert & Eileen Bernard Judaica Museum, the Streicker Outreach Center, Emanu-El Downtown, and the Temple Emanu-El Streicker Center with Judaic, cultural, and socio-political adult educational programming.
The ideal Clergy Administrative and Programming Associate** will be an energetic, positive professional who brings experience in administrative skills and program facilitation. The Clergy Administrative/Program Associate will have a vital role in supporting innovative programs run by our Temple clergy. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who enjoys collaborating with fellow staff members and working with people of all ages. In addition to programmatic work, the Administrative/Program Associate **will assist in administrative tasks to support the clergy.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support the daily administrative and programmatic needs of the Clergy.
- General clerical duties including; correspondence, photocopying, scanning, recording lifecycle information, and maintaining office supplies
- Ability to anticipate upcoming programmatic responsibilities (e.g., confirming reservations, publicity plans, and maintaining calendar appointments)
- Comfortable interfacing with membership and responding in a timely fashion, even in difficult situations
- Phone coverage as needed
- Provide coverage to Senior Rabbi in the absence of the Executive Assistant
- Capacity to interface regularly with the Operations and Communication teams, in service of program facilitation
- Staffing Temple programs as necessary (must be available to occasionally work evenings, attend worship services and provide support for some Jewish Holidays).
- Additional administrative and programmatic tasks assigned as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience in program development and administration
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Extensive software skills are required, such as proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, communications software (such as Mailchimp), and data management software, and willingness to learn new programs as well.
- Effectively sets priorities and manages multiple tasks, with attention to detail
- Is a team player, works collaboratively with co-workers, congregants
- Comfortable working in a Reform synagogue and able to represent the synagogue in public settings
- Candidates must be organized, detail-oriented, flexible, reliable, courteous, and kind.
Congregation Emanu-El requires all employees to be fully vaccinated. The temple will continue to work with its medical advisor to maintain health and safety policies in accordance with CDC and NYS/NYC Department of Health best practices.
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The Congregation does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.