Job Title: Program Associate
Department: Emanu-El Downtown
FLSA Status: Full Time - Salary Non-Exempt
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Reports to: Director Emanu-El Downtown
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is the oldest Reform synagogue in New York City, in a historic, landmarked building with nearly 2,200 household members. While rooted in its legacy, Temple Emanu-El is also fueled by a sense of purpose, justice, and innovation to invigorate Jewish life today. Whether through its Streicker Center for adult engagement; its exceptional nursery school, religious school, and young families programming; Gather: Small Groups community; its work with those seeking conversion; Tikkun Olam programming and the Philanthropic Fund; or its vibrant affinity group network (Men’s Club, Women’s Auxiliary, Chavurah: Women’s Study Group, New Members, Fifth & 65th), Temple Emanu-El is known for the quality of its engagement. Emanu-El is a bold community that sets itself apart from others due to its warmth and majesty.
In Fall 2022 the Temple will launch Early Childhood and Parenting Programs within the campus of The General Theological Seminary (GTS) in Chelsea. The Temple will also offer a taste of Religious School and other family programs.
The ideal Program Associate will be an energetic, positive professional who brings experience in running programs and working in an educational environment. The Program Associate will develop relationships with current members and the downtown community. The Program Associate should be excited to create innovative programs and collaborate with various members and staff of the Emanu-El Downtown community. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who enjoys working with children, and learners of all ages. In addition to programmatic work, the Program Associate will assist in administrative tasks to support the Director and the programs of Emanu-El Downtown. The ideal candidate views challenge positively and are excited about doing something completely new. Seeking candidates who love to work with young children. Candidates must be empathetic, kind, and energetic. Candidates should also demonstrate organization, patience, even temperament, flexibility, initiative, spontaneity, and enthusiasm.
Core Job Functions
- Support the daily administrative and programmatic needs
- Assist with set up for all classrooms and spaces
- Maintain inventory of classroom supplies and other materials
- Coordinate registration and manage signups
- Lead/assist in Drop-In Downtown programs
- Assist with additional tasks as needed
- Experience in program development, administration, or education
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Salesforce.
- Familiarity with or interest in learning about the Jewish community and culture
- Ability to represent the Synagogue in public settings
- Must work two Saturdays per month and be available to periodically work evenings and weekends; provide support during the High Holy Days, and attend worship services, events, and meetings as necessary
Congregation Emanu-El requires all employees to be vaccinated and those who are eligible to be boosted. The temple will continue to work with its medical advisor to maintain health and safety policies in accordance with CDC and NYS/NYC Department of Health best practices. Congregation Emanu-El employees are currently working remotely to a great extent and expect that return to work in the office will take place as conditions improve.
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The Congregation does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.