Associate Director of Creative Development, Center for Prayer and Spirituality Part-time (25 hrs/week)
Since our founding in 1825, B’nai Jeshurun (BJ) has been at the forefront of the American Jewish experience. As we approach our third century, our vision is focused on the spiritual work of transformation and on the creation of a Jewish path that is authentic, profound, and helps all members of our community seek and live their purpose to the fullest.
Our spiritual leaders and our nearly 1,800-member families share a vision of a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive community that offers many paths to Jewish religious life while supporting one another in their spiritual quests. We are committed to honoring tradition while re-imagining and innovating our practices and programs to create a vibrant, contemporary, and relevant Jewish life for all who are seeking it.
Our community is led by Rabbi Rolando Matalon, together with a senior leadership team that comprises Rabbi Felicia Sol, who oversees all programs, and Executive Director/COO Colin Weil, who oversees advancement, communications, finance, administration, and operations. BJ has a staff of approximately 40 full-time and 10 part-time employees.
In 2017, BJ established a Center for Prayer and Spirituality (CPS), through which BJ seeks to affirm the notion of why prayer matters, harness the power of spiritual practice to build community, and realize the possibility of transformation that is true and enduring. The CPS team oversees the full breadth of BJ’s multi-dimensional prayer practice, the programmatic vision for the annual cycle of Jewish holidays, the development of transformative spiritual initiatives, and the production of eclectic musical programming, which draws some of the leading figures from across the landscape of Jewish and world music. In addition, the Center leads BJ’s adult learning program, supports those on the pathway to conversion, and builds programming and resources in service of an audacious vision for vibrant Jewish living for adults and families alike—including multifaith, multirace, LGBTQIA+ families, and more. Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, CPS has sought new and exciting ways to bridge creativity, technology, and strategy together with the richness of our tradition, helping to transform an ever-expanding virtual community through spiritual practice, rituals, learning, and resources.
The Associate Director of Creative Development will play an integral role in supporting these efforts in the Center for Prayer and Spirituality. This position is designed to be part-time and project-focused, ideal for a creative, entrepreneurial Jewish professional. The Associate Director of Creative Development will spearhead key projects and strategic initiatives aimed at realizing the CPS vision with a particular eye toward serving the needs of the growing national and virtual population seeking out BJ’s programs, resources and online content. They will report directly to Cantor David Mintz, Director of the Center for Prayer and Spirituality, and will interface with all members of the CPS team, the larger BJ staff, and congregants from across the BJ community.
Key projects may include but not limited to:
- Partnering with the CPS Director as creative leads for Shabbat and Jewish holiday programs and resources, with a particular focus on creating new resources for empowered Jewish life
- Mounting new models for incubating creative rituals and liturgy, elevating both personal and collective moments of transition into a sacred space
- Leading a strategic focus on resource creation and curation, in an effort to build a comprehensive virtual library of resources, recordings, and interactive tools. Areas of development might include a database of melodies from Shabbat services at BJ; a searchable and filterable collection of sermons; tools for empowered Jewish life at home with videos, ritual “how-to” guides, songs, and recipes.
- Developing and managing partnerships and collaborations with external organizations to strengthen and advance the work of CPS.
Experience and Skills
- At least five years of professional experience with demonstrated expertise in innovation and strategic thinking within Jewish spiritual and/or educational settings
- Rabbinic/cantorial ordination or advanced Jewish degree preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly creative with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstrated ability to move ideas and programs forward within and across an institution
- Strong facilitation, collaboration, and coalition-building skills
- Expertise in and experience with Jewish text and traditions
- Thrives in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Aptitude for technology and social media savvy for the purpose of education and access
Compensation & Benefits
This is a part-time salaried exempt position with a salary of $70-80K for 25 hours/week. Weekly schedule will be flexible, inclusive of evening programing and engagement roles at one Shabbat per month and select holidays. There is a flexible work from home option, which will be dependent on work schedule and based on projects. As this is a part-time position, benefits are limited to sick-days and regular staff holidays.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, “Associate Director, Creative Development.”
B’nai Jeshurun is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in recognition of our values, commitment to social justice, and responsibility to our spiritual leaders and staff, congregants, and the communities within which we live and work. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, veterans, immigrants, and LGBTQIA+ applicants.